Morrocan landmarks

 Pasted image

 1- Koutoubia Mosque:

The Koutoubia Mosque or Kutubiyya Mosque (Arabic: جامع الكتبية‎ ) is the largest mosque in Marrakesh, Morocco. The mosque is also known by several other names, such as Jami' al-KutubiyahKutubiyyin Mosque, and Mosque of the Booksellers. It is located in the southwest medina quarter of Marrakesh. The mosque is ornamented with curved windows, a band of ceramic inlay, pointed merlons, and decorative arches; it has a large plaza with gardens, and is floodlit at night.

 

2- Hassan II Tower:

 Hassan Tower or Tour Hassan (Arabic: صومعة حسان‎) is the minaret of an incomplete mosque in Rabat, Morocco. Begun in 1195, the tower was intended to be the largest minaret in the world along with the mosque, also intended to be the world's largest. In 1199, Sultan Yacub al-Mansour died and construction on the mosque stopped. The tower reached 44 m (140 ft), about half of its intended 86 m (260 ft) height. The rest of the mosque was also left incomplete, with only the beginnings of several walls and 200 columns being constructed. The tower, made of red sandstone,along with the remains of the mosque and the modern Mausoleum of Mohammed V, forms an important historical and tourist complex in Rabat.

 

3- Majorelle Garden:

The Majorelle Garden (Arabic: حديقة ماجوريل‎) is a twelve-acre botanical garden and artist's landscape garden in Marrakech,Morocco. It was designed by the expatriate French artist Jacques Majorelle in the 1920s and 1930s, during the colonial period when Morocco was a protectorate of France.

 

4- Al Badi place:

El Badi Palace (Arabic: قصر البديع‎ - meaning The incomparable palace) is a ruined palace located in Marrakesh,Morocco. Commissioned by the Arab Saadian sultan Ahmad al-Mansur, sometime shortly after his accession in 1578, its construction was funded by a substantial ransom paid by the Portuguese after the Battle of the Three Kings. The palace is nowadays a well known tourist attraction.

 

5- Dar El Makhzen:

 The Dar-el-Makhzen (or Sultanate Palace) is a historical building in Tangier, Morocco, which was the seat of residence for the Sultans of Morocco when staying in the city. It was built during the reign of sultan Moulay Ismail in the 17th century. The structure was built by Ahmad ben Ali al-Rifi, general of the Jaysh al-Rifi and semi-autonomous gouvernour of Tangiers. It was built in the Kasbah on one of the highest points of the city overlooking the Medina and the Strait of Gibraltar. Currently it is used by two museums, the Museum of Moroccan Arts and the Museum of Antiquities.

The Dar-el-Makhzen was the palace to which the last Sultan of independent Morocco, Moulay Hafid, was exiled when the French Protectorate of Morocco forced him to abdicate. He moved in with his entire harem, slaves and personnel, altogether consisting of 168 people, and stayed in the Palace when his brother Moulay Yusef took over power after the Treaty of Fez.

 

6- Menara gardens:

The Menara gardens (Arabic: حدائق المنارة‎) are gardens located to the west of Marrakech, Morocco, at the gates of theAtlas mountains. They were established in the 12th century (c. 1130) by the Almohad ruler Abd al-Mu'min.

The name menara derives from the pavillon with its small green pyramid roof (menzeh). The pavilion was built during the 16th century Saadi dynasty and renovated in 1869 by sultan Abderrahmane of Morocco, who used to stay here in summertime.

The pavilion and basin (an artificial lake) are surrounded by orchards and olive groves. The intention of the basin was toirrigate the surrounding gardens and orchards using a sophisticated system of underground channels called a qanat. The basin is supplied with water thanks to an old hydraulic system which conveys water from the mountains located approximately 30 km away from Marrakech.

7- Chellah:

Chellah or Sala Colonia (Arabic: شالة‎), is a medieval fortified necropolis located south of Rabat, Morocco.

Chellah existed since pre-Islamic times and houses complex of ancient Roman Mauretania Tingitana and medieval ruins. First spot of Salé, this latter was completed towards the north of the river. It is the most ancient human settlement on the mouth of the Bou Regreg River.

Chellah was abandoned during the Almohad-era, then rebuilt by the Marinids.

 

8- University Al karaouine:

The University of al-Qarawiyyin or al-Karaouine (Arabic: جامعة القرويين‎) is a university located in FesMorocco. It is the oldest existing, continually operating and the first degree awarding educational institution in the world according to UNESCO and Guinness World Records and is sometimes referred to as the oldest university. The al-Qarawiyyin mosque-religious school / college was founded by Fatima al-Fihri in 859 with an associated school, or madrasa, which subsequently became one of the leading spiritual and educational centers of the historic Muslim world. It was incorporated into Morocco's modern state university system in 1963. The claim of the university being the oldest in the world are subject to discussions as other institutions, such as the Zaytouna mosque-school founded in 703 in Tunis, predated the founding of al-Qarawiyyin. Al-Qarawiyyin itself is named after the Qairaouan Mosque in Tunisia, the oldest mosque in the Maghreb and the cradle of the Muslim Maliki rite.

 

 

 

9- Kasbah of the udayas:

 The Kasbah of the Udayas is a kasbah in Rabat, Morocco at the mouth of the Bou Regreg river opposite Salé. It was built during the reign of the Almohads (AD 1121-1269). When the Almohads had captured Rabat and destroyed the kasbah of theAlmoravids in the town, they began reconstructing it in AH 544 / AD 1150. They added a palace and a mosque and named it al-Mahdiyya, after their ancestor al-Mahdi Ibn Tumart. After the death of Yaqub al-Mansur (AH 595 / AD 1199) the kasbah was deserted.

 

Last edited: Monday, december 07, 2015

  • No ratings yet - be the first to rate this.